This policy applies to personal information collected by Oriental Merchant. The types of personal information we generally collect include contact details that may include but are not limited to your name, business name, home, business or mailing address, email address and phone number; and optional personal information that you consent to provide including your interests in a particular area, age, professional, education and employment information, ABNs and bank details.
Collection, use and storage of personal information
Oriental Merchant may collect personal information about you in a number of ways including directly from you when you provide it to us, over the telephone, send us correspondence by letter, fax or email, via your access and use of our website or when you deal with us online, when you participate in a marketing promotion or enter a trade promotion competition administered by us or our representatives, when you or your business make a business customer credit application, when you apply for a position with us or you are our contractor.
Oriental Merchant will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected, for purposes that are reasonably related to its business, for internal management purposes, for purposes which you consent, and as otherwise authorized or required by law. In all cases, your personal information will always be held in strict confidence.
Where employees, contractors, or consultants are engaged whereby they may come into contact with personal information, strict standards of security and confidentiality are in place to protect your privacy.
If you apply for a position with Oriental Merchant, we will collect your personal information to assess your employment application. We may disclose your personal information to referees, suppliers of services to us, government departments or related companies. Providing us with the personal information we request will assist in the processing of your application. If we decide to employ you, your information will be transferred to our employee records.
Oriental Merchant will take all reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from misuse, unauthorized access or modification.
You understand and acknowledge that the consent you are to provide when submitting personal information to us is required in order for us to provide you with our goods and/or services. Failing to provide consent may result in failure to provide you with the goods and/or services.
Withdrawal of Consent
Consent may be withdrawn by contacting us. After having received, reviewed and actioned your request, your withdrawal of consent will be noted on our system. We will use our best commercial endeavours to action your request as soon as possible. However, we note that during the time between receiving your request to processing the withdrawal your personal information, you will not hold us liable for the use of your personal information during this processing time.
Oriental Merchant uses technology such as “cookies” on our website. When you access our website our server collects anonymous information regarding the number of visitors to the site and the pages viewed. Users will not be identified. The information is collected to evaluate the effectiveness of the website. We do not collect personal information from cookies during normal website usage. Cookies are used to research the habits of browsers with a view of improving the quality of the website.
Disclosure of personal information
If it is necessary for our business purposes or if we are legally required to do so, we may disclose personal information to other organizations and persons including our insurers, lawyers, accountants, auditors, contractors, consultants and government agencies. We may disclose the personal information we collect from you for a purpose different to the purpose specified to you at the time of collection if you would reasonably expect us to disclose it for that purpose.
Data storage and security
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure by means of various physical and electronic security measures, including restricting physical access to our offices and implementing a number of technological and security policies and procedures. However, we cannot guarantee that any information transmitted over the internet by us, or yourself, is entirely secure.
When we no longer require your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected (including when we are no longer required by law to keep records relating to you), we will take all steps reasonable in the circumstances to destroy the information or ensure that the information is de-identified.
Accessing, seeking correction of or updating personal information
Oriental Merchant takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information it collects, uses and discloses is accurate, complete and up-to-date. The accuracy of that information depends on the information you provide. Please inform us if there are any errors in your personal information and keep us up-to-date with changes.
You may request access to the personal information that we hold about you in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act by contacting our Privacy Officer in writing at the contact details set out at the end of this Policy. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period of time and, where reasonable and practicable, give access to the information in the manner you request. This will be subject to any exemptions allowed under the Privacy Act.
Persons Located in the EU
If you are located in the EU, you have the following rights in relation to your personal information that we process:
- Access. You have the right to request access to the personal information we process about you. For your own privacy and security, at our discretion we may require you to prove your identity before providing the requested information.
- Rectification. You have the right to request that we amend or update your personal information where it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Erasure. You have the right to request that we delete the personal information that we hold about you and we will use our reasonable discretion to erase same if the personal information provided is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose of collection, or you have withdrawn your consent for us to hold your personal information, or the legal retention period for holding your personal information has expired, or you object to the use of your personal information; or the processing of your personal information was not in accordance with the GDPR except we are not obliged to do so if we need to retain such data in order to comply with a legal obligation or to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
- Restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict our processing of your personal information where you believe such data to be inaccurate; our processing is unlawful; or that we no longer need to process such data for a particular purpose unless we are not able to delete the data due to a legal or other obligation or because you do not wish for us to delete it.
- Portability. You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you in electronic format, and to transmit such data to another data controller, where this is (a) personal information which you have provided to us, and (b) if we are processing that data on the basis of your consent or to perform a contract with you.
- Objection. Where the legal justification for our processing of your personal information is in our legitimate interest, you have the right to object to such processing on grounds relating to your particular situation. We will abide by your request unless we have compelling legitimate grounds for the processing.
- Review. Unless necessary for the purpose of performing a contract between us, authorised by law or otherwise explicitly consented to by you, you can exercise your right not to be subject to decisions based on automated processing (such as online profiling).
- Withdrawing Consent. If you have consented to our processing of your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This includes cases where you wish to opt out from marketing messages that you receive from us.
To make a request to exercise any of these rights in relation to your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer in writing at the contact details set out at the end of this Policy.
Contact details and complaints
Please address any questions about this policy or complaints about a breach of your privacy to our Privacy Officer at the address set out below. We will make every effort to handle your query or resolve your complaint within a reasonable period after we receive your request.
Oriental Merchant Pty Ltd
10 Westgate Drive, Laverton North Vic 3026